Liverpool complete $ 67 million signing of Luis Diaz from Porto

Liverpool have signed Porto winger Luis Diaz on a £ 50m (€ 60m / $ 67m) deal.

The Colombian national team player has signed a five and a half year long contract after undergoing a medical examination in Argentina on Saturday and will wear the No. 23 jersey at Anfield.

The Reds will pay a starting fee of £ 37.5m (€ 45m / $ 50m) for the 25-year-old, with a further £ 12.5m (€ 15m / $ 17m) in performance-related additions.

What has been said?

Klopp expressed his delight after Diaz’s arrival at Anfield and told the Reds’ official website: “I could not be happier that we have been able to get this deal implemented and bring Luis to Liverpool.

“He’s an excellent player and one we’ve been following for a very long time.

MORE: Guimaraes sign for Newcastle

“We believe he has everything you need to fit in our way and adapt to the Premier League, both physically and mentally. He is a player who is hungry for success and knows you have to fight to get it. you want. He’s a fighter, no doubt. He’s a skilled team player who always has the goal in mind.

“This team deserved to add quality, and when we played against Luis earlier in the season, we saw what danger he is, how fast he is and how his mentality was to help his team.

“Luis is a player we believe will make us better now and in the future.”

What will Diaz bring to Liverpool?

Diaz will add even more firepower to Jurgen Klopp’s ranks as he comes in to compete in regular minutes alongside Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Diogo Jota and Roberto Firmino.

The Colombian proved to be one of the best young wingers in Europe during his three-year stay in Porto, where he scored 41 goals and 19 assists in 125 matches.

MORE: Each PL team’s next match

Diaz took his game to new heights in the first half of the 2021-2022 campaign, scoring 16 goals in 28 matches for the Portuguese giants, and Liverpool fans will hope he can transfer that form directly to the Premier League.

What else could have happened in Liverpool before the transfer deadline?

The Reds expect to receive offers on a number of players before Monday’s 23:00 GMT deadline, with individuals such as Divock Origi, Takumi Minamino and Nat Phillips in particular attracting interest.

Origi is wanted by Newcastle and Atalanta, among others, and can be allowed to leave if a suitable offer arrives.

MORE: What’s Happening to Pulisic?

Liverpool have received inquiries from Leeds and Monaco about Minamino, but GOAL understands that they are reluctant to sanction a loan deal and that the player is not keen on leaving, but instead prefers to fight for his place if possible.

Phillips, meanwhile, is on the list of several Premier League clubs, including Burnley, Watford, Newcastle and Brighton, but so far there has been only one concrete approach, a lease-to-buy deal from Watford, which Liverpool rejected.

There may well be interest in full-back Neco Williams, though Liverpool would only sell if the other was a significant one, while midfielder Leighton Clarkson is allowed to leave the pitch after not having a permanent place with Championship side Blackburn in during the match. first half of the season.

Leave a Comment